Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Chinese, Korean, Japanese

"Chinese is the master - Japanese and Korean are the students". How true is this sentence??
-
My Chinese - I have never studied in Chinese school before, although I am a Chinese speaking Cantonese. I was illiterate in Chinese for the first 13 years of my life. After that, due to my fondness of watching HK TVB Drama, we rented the tape/cd non-stop. Nonstop!! At that time I began to have some interest in Chinese character. I wondered myself, I myself is a Chinese so I must know a bit of Chinese. I cannot be a "banana" all the time.... Malulah if continuing like that.... Now, I can manage to read some Chinese, although I am still far away from the Best standard. Usually I can read well, meaning that I am good at word reorganizations, than I can write it. I don't know, writing Chinese is a kind of taxing for me. Plus my Chinese handwriting is not that pretty either... But my roman italic writing is... good. True. Everyone said that. My pinyin is bad. Why? Because it comes in Mandarin. Yes, Cantonese and Mandarin are mostly similar but sometimes when I want to type a certain word in sms, I can't pronounce the correct pinyin and ended up... typing nothing or typing the wrong word.
-
My Korean - Korean letter sounds easier to master. But if we don't understand the particular word, we cannot understand either. It is like Bahasa Melayu. Yes, we can form the word/sentence, but it is a different case in whether we can understand it or not. I started my interest in Korean since I began to chase after Korean dramas few years back. That is what we called "Hanyu Wave". The "wave" is so strong that it drives me to learn/know more on Korean. Recently, I have cut down the time for watching Korean drama... But I am still in love with you, Hanguk !!! You have become a tiny part of my life.
-
My Japanese - I have never been interested in Japanese. But recently I have changed my thoughts towards Japanese. I mean it's ok for me to watch Japanese drama now, compared to last time that my world was only filled with HK Drama, Korean Drama and some Malay gameshow. Plus Jeong Hoon is singing Japanese songs nowadays. he is entering Japanese entertainment industry. In order to cope with him, I have started to listen to it. Not bad, so far.
-
Looks like it is true. Chinese, Korean and Japanese are "brothers". Chinese is the "big brother". I am proud to be a part of the "big brother". It would be great if I can master / "mixed" with all the 3 brothers. Then I can become a multi-linguist in Asia..... Is that going to be happen ??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, ka-min s, I was feeling so gratified after reading this. So, you finally feel something for Japanese as well? Fabulous, though you mentioned a major part of this is due to Jeong Hoon, but secretly inside, I hope Tsuyoshi plays some parts as well. Don't you forget your "relationship" with him, ok? My Japanese sensei ( teacher ) also talked about this before, the entanglements of these three languages. I'm glad that I've always been quite close to the "big brother" -- Chinese -- hehehe...
If there's any Chinese word you wish to know, do ask me. I'd be glad to help you. But I may not be that good at guessing the pinyin you use...eh...

K.M.-가민-家敏~ said...

Yes, big brother. But if we were previously come from the “2nd or 3rd brother”, what do you think would happen to us now? Sis, so far you guessed 80% correctly on my pinyin. I’ll try to explain to you whenever you didn’t get what my pinyin is about.

K.M.-가민-家敏~ said...

Yes, sis. Small part for Japanese now. I don’t know if bil did play a role into my decisions, but I guess, yes, as I mentioned before I really seldom watch jpnese drama. I would give-up half way, and then moving back to watch my favourite dramas. Although to heart was filmed in 1999, but it’s ok for me. As long as it is not the traditional drama, some sort like Japanese traditional drama, it’s ok for me.